If you have almost reached your ideal body weight, but continue to experience areas of stubborn fat that, despite diet and exercise, remains in place, liposuction (lipo, lipoplasty) may be the procedure for you. Lipoplasty is a safe and effective body contouring method that is frequently performed at Strax Rejuvenation in Lauderhill, Florida, near Miami.
What is Liposuction?
Strax Rejuvenation’s board-certified plastic surgeons frequently perform traditional lipo (i.e., suction-assisted lipoplasty – SAL) procedures as well as power-assisted lipoplasty (PAL), including the revolutionary tickle lipo.
Lipoplasty Methods include:
- Traditional lipoplasty – is a procedure performed using intravenous sedation with local anesthesia. This form of lipo is ideal for correcting larger areas of the body by removing vast fat masses in the buttocks, abdomen and back. In addition, traditional lipoplasty is an economical option because it is less expensive than some of the newer lipo techniques. The conventional method of lipo may also be used to address non-cancerous fatty tumors (lipomas) and gynecomastia (overdeveloped breast tissue in males).
- Power-assisted liposuction (PAL) – using this method, a smaller incision can be created. A mechanical cannula (hollow tube) that vibrates is used; therefore, less physical effort on the part of the surgeon is required to break up the fibrous tissues within the body, as such, this procedure can be completed quicker than a traditional lipoplasty. PAL does not use heat and it can target fat in dense areas without causing damage to surrounding tissue. When compared to the traditional method of lipoplasty, the recovery tends to be more comfortable and faster when power-assisted lipo is performed. The decrease in force reduces the recovery time and the amount of bruising the patient experiences.
- Tickle Liposuction – a Type of PAL – this procedure is ideal for those who want to eliminate excess fat without the extended recovery time that is frequently seen with traditional lipoplasty methods. Tickle lipo can provide the same results achieved with other lipo methods; however, it can be performed using only local anesthesia, which means that this method costs less. Using specialized techniques and revolutionary equipment, the surgeons at Strax Rejuvenation perform Tickle lipoplasty utilizing a nutational whirling triple movement of rotation and vibration to remove fat more effectively, while leaving other tissues untouched. During this procedure, the targeted fat is removed at the same time it is emulsified; therefore, the procedure time is shortened. The plastic surgeons at Strax Rejuvenation in Lauderhill, Florida, near Miami, specialize in the Tickle lipo technique. This innovative technique allows them to provide patients with a pain-free way to attain beautiful, precise body contours. With this method, patients experience less bruising, swelling and discomfort as he or she recovers.
What Issues Can a Lipoplasty Procedure Address?
With liposuction, an experienced surgeon can slim and reshape an individual’s body by removing areas of localized fat. This procedure can be used for larger and smaller areas. Despite the area being treated, a thin cannula is inserted beneath the skin by way of a very small incision. Suction is then used to remove the fat. A cannula is more than a vacuum, it is designed to break fat cells up, forcing them out. During a lipoplasty procedure, patients lose fluids; therefore, they receive intravenous fluids to replace the fluids being lost. At Strax Rejuvenation, near Miami, qualified professionals monitor patients during their procedures to ensure their safety.
Resistant fat is frequently removed from the:
- Thighs (inner and outer).
- Inner knees.
- Upper arms.
Many of Strax Rejuvenation’s patients attain their desired results in a single lipoplasty session.
Liposuction can also be used to address gynecomastia: A condition that causes an overgrowth of male breast tissue.
Benefits of Liposuction
Most patients benefit physically and mentally from lipo. The removal of stubborn pockets of fat can be very freeing for those who have been working towards eliminating this fat for some time. With lipoplasty, your surgeon can safely remove fat, sculpting these parts of your body that are resisting diet and exercise.
Who is a Good Candidate for Liposuction at Strax Rejuvenation, Near Miami?
Individuals interested in having lipo should have realistic expectations and understand that this procedure is ideal for removing excess fat to contour the body, but not as a tool for weight loss. A good candidate has a positive outlook and a specific idea as to the results he or she would like to attain from a lipoplasty procedure.
Liposuction is performed safely on teens, men and women (from ages 15 to 78). When it comes to lipo, good skin elasticity is vital for optimal results. If you have good muscle tone and skin elasticity, you can expect your skin to mold nicely to your new shape. On the other hand, if your skin lacked elasticity and was dehydrated prior to your lipoplasty procedure, you may have areas with loose skin. This possibility will be discussed with you before your procedure. Your surgeon will recommend ways for you to improve your skin prior to your lipoplasty.
Other characteristics of good liposuction candidates include those who are:
- In good health.
- Within 30 percent of their ideal body weight.
- Having difficulty eliminating fat deposits in certain areas, even with diet and exercise.
- Free of any medical conditions that could interfere with their ability to heal following the procedure.
Traditional Liposuction at Strax Rejuvenation in Lauderhill, Florida, Near Miami
Lipoplasty is usually performed using intravenous sedation and local anesthesia. At Strax Rejuvenation, lipo procedures are performed on an outpatient basis; therefore, patients will return home once they are released from recovery.
Patients receiving intravenous sedation or general anesthesia are not permitted to drive for at least 24 hours after their procedure: As such, these patients need to bring a licensed driver that they trust with them on the day of their liposuction procedure. At Strax Rejuvenation, near Miami, for the safety of our patients, we do not permit the use of public transportation or any other ride-for-hire service after a procedure involving the use of IV sedation or general anesthesia.
A lipoplasty procedure takes from two to four hours, depending on the number of areas being treated and the amount of fat being removed. In addition, when a patient has multiple procedures performed during the same surgical session, the length of time spent in the operating room increases.
An Initial Consultation for Liposuction at Strax Rejuvenation Near Miami
During your initial consultation, the surgeon will ask what you would like to accomplish with a lipoplasty. If you have had surgeries in the past, are currently taking any medications, have chronic medical conditions (e.g., diabetes, hypertension, etc.), are allergic to latex or certain kinds of medications, please be prepared to let the surgeon know.
Once the surgeon knows your aesthetic desires, he or she will evaluate the tone and elasticity of your skin to determine if you are a good candidate for lipo. If you are not, the surgeon will discuss alternative treatments available at Strax Rejuvenation, near Miami that can provide you with the aesthetic results you desire. If your skin just needs to be prepared prior to your liposuction procedure, the surgeon will offer recommendations as to what you can do to improve it.
If you will be having a procedure performed, photographs will most likely be taken. These photographs are used to create your treatment plan and your surgeon will use them while performing your procedure. Since these pictures are considered part of your medical record, they are confidential and will only be seen when necessary by the medical staff.
Several months after your procedure, more photographs will be taken. Your pre-surgical and post-surgical photographs can be compared to show you the aesthetic improvements achieved during your liposuction procedure.
Preparing for Your Liposuction Procedure at Strax Rejuvenation, Near Miami
At your consultation, your surgeon will provide you will specific instructions to follow as you prepare for your procedure.
These instructions may include:
- Discontinuing certain medications (e.g., aspirin, diet pills, ibuprofen, etc.) at least two weeks before the procedure.
- Avoiding nicotine-containing products and alcoholic beverages for at least two weeks prior to their procedure.
- Shaving certain areas of the body.
What Happens on the Day of the Liposuction Procedure at Strax Rejuvenation, Near Miami?
On the day of surgery, you must not eat or drink anything for at least eight hours before your procedure time.
If you take medications every day, be sure to ask your surgeon if you can take them before your liposuction procedure.
At Strax Rejuvenation your safety is of utmost importance; therefore, on the day of surgery, if you are experiencing a sore throat, sores on your body, a cold or allergies you need to inform your surgeon. He or she will examine you to ensure you are well enough to move forward with your procedure: If you are not, do not worry your lipo procedure will be rescheduled.
Prior to heading into the procedure room, your surgeon will visit you in pre-op. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them now. Strax Rejuvenation’s surgeons want their patients to be well-informed; therefore, please do not hesitate to ask questions. Strax Rejuvenation believes that answering the questions patients ask helps them to feel comfortable about the procedures they are having because it is usually the unknown that makes patients feel uneasy.
Some of the topics that may be discussed before your surgery include:
- The type of anesthesia your surgeon recommends for you. If you are having the tickle lipo procedure, you will most likely just be receiving local anesthesia.
- Information related to any procedural changes that your surgeon believes would provide you with better results (e.g., going ahead and removing excess fat from your hips as well as your buttocks).
- The locations in which the cannula will be inserted to remove the resistant fat deposits (your surgeon may also make markings to use as a guide during surgery).
- Information about other procedures you are having at the same time, if applicable (e.g., a tummy tuck, facelift, breast augmentation or reduction, etc.).
The Suction-Assisted Liposuction (SAL) Procedure – Traditional Lipo
Once the anesthesia takes effect, the procedure will begin.
1. Saline Solution is Injected
Saline Solution is Injected – directly before the incisions are created, the surgeon injects a mixture of medicine and saline solution into the tissues that surround the targeted areas of fat. This fluid hydrates the body and creates spaces between the fatty tissue that is to be removed, and the muscle tissue that is not: These spaces provide the surgeon with enough room to accurately target the fat cells and break them up.
2. A Small Incision is Created
A Small Incision is Created – the surgeon creates a small incision close to one of the problem areas that is being targeted.
3. Cannula Insertion
Cannula Insertion – a thin, hollow tube (cannula) is inserted through the incision.
4. Fat is Loosened
Fat is Loosened – this stainless-steel cannula helps to loosen the fat.
5. Fat is Removed
Fat is Removed – working in conjunction with an aspirator, the cannula removes fat cells from the body using suction. During the lipoplasty procedure, several different techniques may be used.
6. Incisions are Closed
Incisions are Closed – once complete, the surgeon closes the incisions using sutures and applies a surgical garment or bandage over the treated area. A surgical garment is designed to help reduce inflammation and re-drape the skin.
Tickle Lipo Variation
If a tickle lipo procedure is performed, the patient remains awake. The incisions are created, since the fat is emulsified and removed simultaneously, the procedure time is shorter for this method than it is for the traditional suction-assisted liposuction method.
Recovering After Liposuction Near Miami
During recovery, you may be advised to wear elastic bandages or a compression garment over the areas that received treatment. These garments and bandages will keep swelling at a minimum and compress the skin, helping your body maintain your new contours.
What to expect during recovery:
- The number of areas treated and the method of liposuction the surgeon performs affects patient recovery times.
- Directly following lipo, patients need to have someone they are comfortable with and trust completely remain with them for at least the first 24 hours.
- Patients should expect to experience some level of pain, which is typically the strongest within the first four hours following surgery, but subsides as time passes.
- The compression garment relieves discomfort and pain. In addition, it promotes healing and assists with skin contraction. For optimal results, it is essential that patients wear their compression garments for several weeks following the liposuction procedure.
- Healing times vary for each patient; however, many patients go back to work within a week.
The tiny incisions created during surgery will leave behind scars; however, these scars usually fade within several months of the procedure. For some patients, within a year of the procedure, their incision lines are nearly invisible; however, the final size and color of the permanent scar cannot be fully anticipated. That said, one of the most important things a patient can do to help their scars remain less noticeable is to avoid exposing them to UV rays: This includes the rays tanning beds emit. The incisions/scars will remain red or pink for approximately six months. If the incisions/scars are exposed to UV rays while they are still red or pink, they may become hyperpigmented (darker than the rest of the skin around them), which may be permanent; therefore, keeping the scars protected with a sunblock or avoiding UV rays altogether is recommended.
- Follow the post-procedure instructions you received from the recovery nurse.
- Remember to attend your follow-up appointments. It is at these appointments your surgeon ensures that you are healing well and as planned.
- Avoid taking a bath or swimming: These activities can result in infection, slowing down recovery.
- Get plenty of sleep. This allows your body to heal.
- Avoid taking medications that cause the blood to thin (e.g., ibuprofen, aspirin, Coumadin, etc.)
- Stay hydrated as this promotes healing.
- Avoid coffee, alcohol and products that contain nicotine.
- Take short walks and perform light exercises. Be sure to ask your surgeon what your limitations are before starting any type of exercise routine.
- Avoid eating foods high in salt, sugar and saturated fats.
- Have lymphatic massages on a weekly basis. These kinds of massages can minimize soreness as well as the discomforts associated with liposuction recovery. In addition, lymphatic massages boost the immune system, which helps prevent infection.
Follow-Up Appointment at Strax Rejuvenation, Near Miami
The surgeon removes your stitches within seven days of surgery; however, you will continue to wear your support garment for several weeks.
How Soon Will I See My Final Results?
Lipo results are visible immediately after the procedure; however, you will not see the final results until the swelling has subsided. It will take some time for swelling to completely disappear and reveal your newly-contoured body; typically, anywhere from two to four months.
Could My Fat Return Following My Liposuction Procedure?
Production of fat cells stops once we reach puberty. When we gain weight, our fat cells increase in size and when we lose weight, they shrink; however, the total number of fat cells never changes. Since lipo actually removes fat cells from the body and replacement cells are not produced, you will have fewer fat cells. That said, you can still gain weight in the remaining fat cells. The only difference is that you will gain weight in other areas of your body – not in the problem areas addressed with lipoplasty.
Can Liposuction Be Combined with Other Procedures?
Yes, many female patients choose to add lipo to their ‘mommy makeover’ procedure packages. Some of the procedures that are performed at the same time as lipo include tummy tucks, facelifts, breast augmentations and breast reductions.
Every patient who undergoes lipo, experiences some numbness and bruising. Although complication risks during a lipoplasty are extremely low, the volume of fat removed and areas from which fat cells are removed affects the length of time a patient remains in surgery, the longer the surgery, the greater the potential for a complication; however, serious complications are extremely rare. Even so, every procedure carries with it some risks and they must be considered.
Possible lipo complications include:
- Issues related to anesthesia.
- Pulmonary embolism.
- Fat embolism.
- Blood clot.
- Skin discoloration.
- Changes in skin sensation, including numbness.
How Much Does a Liposuction Procedure Cost?
The quality of the results attained is important, but cost is also a factor that must be considered when contemplating whether to have an aesthetic procedure. According to 2018 statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the average cost of liposuction is $3,518; however, each patient’s lipoplasty plan is unique and costs are determined by the type of lipoplasty procedure performed, the anesthesia used, body sites addressed as well as the number of areas targeted. The only way to know how much a lipo procedure will cost is to schedule a free consultation at Strax Rejuvenation in Lauderhill, Florida, near Miami.
How Long do Liposuction Results Last?
If the patient makes healthy lifestyle choices, the results attained during a lipoplasty can last a substantial amount of time.
When you choose one of the surgeons at Strax Rejuvenation in Lauderhill, Florida, near Miami, to perform your procedure, you know that you are being cared for by a skilled, experienced and caring board-certified surgeon. If you are interested in learning more about lipo, mommy makeovers or any of the other procedures available at Strax Rejuvenation, contact the office today at 954-933-5448 to schedule your complimentary consultation. Strax Rejuvenation is located at 4300 N University Dr., #A202, Lauderhill, Florida.
If you would rather contact us online, just click here and, once redirected, choose the ‘FREE CONSULT’ icon located in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
Liposuction at Strax Rejuvenation
Liposuction is the treatment to consider if you’re near your healthy body weight but still have areas of fat that stick around in spite of diet and exercise. The team at Strax Rejuvenation in Lauderhill, Florida, have extensive experience performing liposuction, giving women the slim body contour they desire. Contact the office to schedule an appointment and learn how a liposuction procedure can permanently remove fat from any part of the body.
What is liposuction?
Liposuction is a cosmetic surgery that slims and reshapes the body by removing localized areas of fat. It’s commonly used to eliminate resistant fat from:
- Abdomen and waist
- Back and chest
- Upper arms
- Thighs, buttocks, and hips
- Calves, ankles. and inner knee
- Cheeks, chin, and neck
Many women achieve their desired results with just 1 liposuction treatment. If you’re considering other cosmetic procedures, liposuction can be performed at the same time as other surgeries such as a facelift, tummy tuck, or breast reduction or augmentation.
Who can undergo liposuction?
Most people who want to improve their body shape are good candidates for liposuction, but it’s important to have realistic expectations about what liposuction will accomplish. It’s very effective for eliminating fat, but it’s not a weight loss procedure — it’s a body contouring procedure. That means liposuction is best for patients who are within 30% of their ideal weight. Your overall health should also be considered, so the surgeons will review your medical history to be sure you don’t have any serious conditions that may interfere with the ability to heal after the procedure.
What can you expect during and after liposuction?
Liposuction is performed using several small incisions to accommodate the thin tube, called a cannula, that’s used to loosen and suction out fat cells. During your recovery, you may need to use a compression garment or elastic bandages over the treated areas. They’ll help keep swelling down and also compress skin to your new body shape.
The amount of healing time required is different for each person, so your doctor will talk with you about when you can return to normal activities. Many patients find they can return to work after a few days, depending on the extent of the procedure, but it could take time for the swelling to completely subside.
When will you see results?
The results are immediate, but you won’t be able to see the full effect until all the swelling is gone. If you have firm, elastic skin and good muscle tone, your skin will mold to the shape of your new contour. However, if your skin prior to liposuction was dehydrated, or aging made it less elastic, you may see areas of loose skin. Your doctor will talk about this possibility with you before liposuction and recommend how to improve your skin if its appearance is a concern after receiving liposuction.
*Individual Results May Vary